Friday, January 28, 2011

Mother Nature, You're So Bitchy

Yesterday was the worst day ever and until I get things under control or at least figure out a plan of action, I don't want to talk about it.

Instead, let's talk about the weather.

It's steadily been getting colder and colder. At first it was all snowy and just normal snow temperatures. Ya know, around freezing maybe a bit below at night. No real big deal.

Then it decided to warm up slightly which meant freezing rain instead. This is a bit annoying because then you get slick sidewalks that are already a little difficult to walk on because of the snow that is packed into the cobblestone. (Cobblestone is the devil no matter the temperature in case you didn't know.)

But today, oh today was deceiving. If you woke up in Prague this morning you looked out the window and said "Wow, the sun's out!"

Honestly, this means nothing to me since I spent most of my day indoors, but there were a few short jaunts between classes where I was exposed. The sun was playing dirty tricks on the Czech Republic today. It was freaking cold! 

Seriously though, I could see my breath. I know that doesn't seem too bad, but that was at 2:30 p.m. and it's only gotten colder since.

This morning they were forecasting tonight's low to be -11C (12F), but they've since changed their minds. It's supposed to get down to -14C (7C). Holy balls. 

But wait, there's more!

Tomorrow's low is forecasted as.... wait for it... -25C! That's -13F. Yes, negative fahrenheit temps. That's when you know it's actually cold outside. 

I think I'm going to need a hefty beer coat to get myself through tomorrow night. I doubt the radiator is going to be able to keep me going on its own.

On that note, I hear Washington, D.C. is not only getting negative temperatures but they're having blackouts as well. No electricity and it's super cold? That makes me kind of wish we were slightly less dependent on electricity. Then again, we don't even have a fireplace... At least I don't think we do.

Oh also, did you hear about the thunder-snow in New York? Why does the Northeast Coast always get to make all the cool new weather-related words. (Snowmageddon, Snow-My-God, Snowpocalypse, Snowzilla)

Oh, Mother Nature, you're so bitchy in the winter. Of course I guess you're kind of bitchy in the late-summer/early-autumn as well...

2 comments:

  1. HOLY COW! Mother Nature is a bia. Us Texans really don't do cold weather warm. I used to think if the temp dropped into the 50s. Now I think it is warm if it hits 40s. I hope you are staying warm, and bundle up this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely doing my best to stay warm here. I hope you are too!

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!