Monday, August 31, 2009

Don't I feel like a dinosaur?

I was right; yoga makes a world of difference.

Honestly, any sort of physical activity would have done it. I finally feel like I got up off my butt and did something good for myself. A quick 20-minute yoga workout is really all I needed, though tomorrow I think I'm going to add in a few extra poses to make it a good half-hour.

Today was pretty tame. I ate my omelet, did my yoga, and then I read forever before going to class. I've been reading a lot lately. I've decided that Catch-22 (and probably Joseph Heller's writing style in general) just isn't my kind of book and that's probably why I wasn't reading as much before.

But one of my roommates gave me this gigantic (700+ pages) book — The Persimmon Tree three or four days ago and I'm already more than 300 pages in. I forgot how much I love leisurely reading.


I used to love books and words so much that I wrote a book when I was 10. I have no idea what happened to it. Now I write blogs. I suppose that's probably similar to whatever type of novel I was capable of writing as a 10-year-old country girl.

It's funny though because here I am with a gigantic novel reading in between classes and my kids tell me that they read books on the Internet. Don't I feel like a dinosaur?

It's funny how quickly and easily a kid can make you feel old. Sometimes I think about it and I'm like wow, I'm only like seven or eight years old that some of these kids. And then they come up with something that I don't even know — usually about the Internet or some crazy stationary thing I didn't know exist (kids here are obsessed with stationary).

In my head: "The Internet came out when I was like 10-years-old. Why don't I know this?"

Actually, I found this hilarious card a few days ago that said something like "When I was your age, we had to dial to get the Internet."

Do you remember how painful that was? Just think of how impatient children are in general and then sit them in front of a computer with dial-up Internet access. I space out way more quickly now that I'm in my twenties. I guess it was all so novel then that I was fascinated enough to have patience.

Of course, I'm not entirely behind the times. I'm just broke. Probably the one gadget I want more than anything else in the world is a Kindle. I want that more than a 12-year-old wants an iPod Touch (or an iPhone depending on the kid).

I would have a Kindle right now if it weren't for the fact that I decided to move to Taiwan. My parents were going to get me one for my graduation present. That money, instead, became my "Taiwan start-up fund."

Oh well, I suppose it was probably worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!