Monday, November 16, 2009

Is 'sciency' a word?

This weekend was relaxed and busy at the same time if you know what I mean. I got a lot done but I didn't feel like I had to hurry to do anything.

Saturday I only had three classes instead of four because all the kids in one of my classes are on the basketball team at their school and they had a game. This adds a little context to why that class is so rowdy. They're used to constantly playing a high-energy game together.

Of course, you sort of already knew that Saturday was pretty chill. I blogged twice and all.

After my classes, the new girl — Kyrstie — and I went to Latini's. Some times the best thing ever is Italian food. It so hits the spot. I swear if I couldn't get Italian or Mexican food, I would freak out. As it stands, I'm not going too crazy without Mexican food.

Then again I have also planned half my Christmas vacation around all the Tex-Mex places I will be visiting.

Saturday night we went out dancing (as usual). The dynamic is really funny when we go out in a big group to a club. I sometimes wonder what it is people are thinking when they see three taxis crammed full of foreigners roll up:

"Sorry honey, we're going to another bar. These foreigners are going to take over..."

Which we totally do. I think we're all attention hogs in a way. We end up dancing on the stage most of the night. It's fun though.

The night ended badly though. Some sort of almost-fight broke out. There were people yelling at people we don't know and people crying. It was drama-filled to say the least.

I love going out dancing and I have a lot of fun with my friends, but there are moments when, somehow or another, our group ends up perpetuating the stereotype of cocky North Americans (can't just say Americans given the proportion of Canadians).

But Saturday night is over and everything is back to normal. There doesn't seem to be any permanent damage and I would argue that a lot of people don't even seem to remember that anything happened anyway.

Sunday, despite the fact that I didn't go to bed until almost 6 a.m. I woke up at noon. We got off to kind of a sow start, but Tess and I were in Taipei by 2:45 p.m. (we wanted to be there by 2 p.m.). Rather than taking the MRT, she and I walked to Ximen and shopped.

Taipei is actually a very walkable city. It's nice to know that because I always feel so lost. It's hard to get your bearings again once you surface from the subway line.

We also went to Shilin Night Market again. Tess was on a mission to do some Christmas shopping. I was mostly along for the ride, but I bought quite a bit of stuff. Mostly just ridiculous little things to send home to people.

You know, things that make you want to "Touch Your Heart" and say "Taiwan!"

After we got back from Taipei, a group of 10 of us went to TaiMall to watch 2012. I wasn't disappointed, and really I suppose it was exactly what I expected. The effects were awesome. The concept is intriguing and I love all of the conspiracy theory/sciency stuff behind it. (I have determined 'sciency' is a word.)

I just could have done without John Cusack's character making the impossible possible and the whole relationship junk that they always put in movies like this so they'll still appeal to the girls who will only watch chick flicks. That stuff has no place in these movies, I feel like.

That said, it was overall a good movie and the effects alone make it worth seeing on the big screen.

Now on to Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!