Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How cold is it going to get?

Wo hen mang... lately. I've been really busy.

Also, it is suddenly very cold out. It got a little warmer Thursday, Friday and Saturday. My costume was almost too warm for me to wear but I dealt with it.

Then, all of a sudden it is Nov. 1st and it's so cold out. I can't believe it's November!

It's really not that bad, but it seems really cold because the weather changed so quickly. It just kept getting cooler and cooler on Sunday until it's somewhere between 13 and 15 degrees Celsius (around the 50s in Fahrenheit).

My Chinese is really coming along. I've been talking a lot more to people. I've noticed my big problem is that I speak really quietly when I'm talking to strangers. I'm like my students. When they speak Chinese they are so loud, but the moment you ask them to say something in English you can hardly hear them even when you are standing right in front of them.

I need to work on that.

Last night I went to Tepanyaki after work. I was there by myself so I pulled out my Chinese book and started studying. I imagine it was a pretty hilarious sight. The guys behind the counter just kept staring at me and kind of laughing.

Picture this: Me all bundled up in my green hoodie and blue scarf with a Chinese book in my left hand and chopsticks in my right hand.

I got to class really early today so I just kind of hung out with my babies. They're so funny. They just yammer at me in Chinese and I catch a little bit of it now and then. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't.

Glenn had two apples with him and he kept running around with them screaming "Two apples!" and then he would say it in Chinese "Liangge pingguo!"

It was pretty funny. I have no idea why he had the apples or why he was so excited about it.

I also realized today that he can actually read English pretty well although we haven't gotten completely through the phonics yet.

They all ran off somewhere so I pulled out my Chinese book and then Jim came up and practically sat in my lap and wanted me to read my Chinese to him. He started reading the characters for me if I hesitated.

I am pretty excited about my progress as far as reading characters goes. My co-teacher Angela came over and listened to me read a couple of passages and she was really impressed.

I'm sure I was beaming with pride.

My goal is to hike Tiger Head at least three times this week. So far it's Tuesday and I haven't so I really need to get on that.

Tomorrow, Tiger Head, then stationery store to buy cards so I can make flashcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!