Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Countdown: 16 hours 'til I leave

It is amazing to me that by this time tomorrow I will be more than halfway to Taiwan already. Hopefully I will be asleep.

My flight leaves at 2:10 a.m. PDT. I know that sucks, but I think leaving before dawn and only having to deal with 12.5 hours of flight is way better than leaving at some "normal" time only to have a million layovers and 32 hours of airports and planes. 

That was seriously my other options.

This way, I'll hopefully sleep for the majority of the 12.5 hours and be relatively awake when I arrive in Taipei at about 6 a.m. I think adrenaline will probably carry me through the rest. 

I don't have a lot of experience with jet lag, but it seems to me that if I can stay awake most of the day Friday and just crash from exhaustion that night, then I might be able to adjust fairly easily.

Of course, nothing ever works this way, but I can hope.

I am full of hope and nerves in case you hadn’t noticed. I had this terrible dream this morning that did not help at all. It was just really sad. Honestly, it had nothing to do with Taiwan so much as my anxiety.

Again, that’s something I can get over. It will just take time.

I am also full of excitement. Megan said she would be at the dorm waiting for me with a cup of tea in hand. It’s really great to know someone on the other side. That little greeting is going to be a HUGE help.

She said she’s putting together a little packet of sorts that will help me through.

Also, one of her friends started this Web site called Taiwan English. It’s a helpful Web site for people teaching ESL in a foreign country. It is, of course, specifically geared toward working in Taiwan, given their experience.

I was looking over it and it seems to be turning into quite the helpful Web site.

I have a few last minute things I have to do before I leave. I need to get to the bank and to repack my bags.

At least it will keep my mind busy.

 

4 comments:

  1. I'm SO excited and nervous for you. I can't imagine knowing I'd be so far away from home in less than a day. But I'm definitely a little jealous. I've had smaller doeses of jet lag, but it's never really been too bad for me. Sounds like you're plan should work though. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! see you soon :) the white plastic cup on your tray is for hot tea or coffee and they'll come around and you just stick it on the tray if you want some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, sorry the guide is so ugly. it's getting updated all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello! i'm jerry, i made that www.taiwanenglish.com site, i work at gloria, i'm rocking out. i'll be around the dorm annoying megan and causing havok, also i have a room there still, though i don't live in it... you'll also meet my friend Phil who will be arriving soon... don't worry too much, Taiwan is incredible... get ready for anything!

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!