Monday, June 11, 2012

Strawberry-Basil Lemonade Bread


So I was standing in line today at the Ovoce-Zelenina store (Fruit and Veggie store) with strawberries in one hand and a bunch of fresh basil in the other. The smells of the two combining in my nostrils automatically got me thinking about this amazing Strawberry-Basil Lemonade cocktail I had in Austin a few years back at one of my friend's bars. It was delicious. 


I started thinking about considering getting out of line to grab some lemons with which to make some lemonade when suddenly it dawned on me that I could make a Strawberry-Basil Lemonade-influenced bread and then have an on-the-run breakfast/snack prepared for the whole week.




Genius!


Check out the recipe below. Let me know how it works out for you.





Strawberry-Basil Lemonade Bread



1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
juice of one lemon
1 1/2 cups flour
12grams (roughly 2 heaping tsp) baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
zest of one lemon
1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
1/8 cup fresh basil chopped (I basically just took all the leaves off of two stalks of fresh basil)
1-2 Tbsp milk

In a small bowl, combine melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and lemon. Whisk well. 
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk until just combined.
Combine dry and wet ingredients.
Add chopped strawberries, lemon zest and basil. 
If the mixture doesn't seem to be wet enough or isn't holding together well, add 1-2 Tbsp milk. (I did but some of my measurements are approximate)

Pour mixture into a buttered and floured bread loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees until you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean (Note: My oven doesn't have temperature options. The options are more like big flame or horrendously, large flame? I based my temperature settings for you on various other similar recipe. Basically, just don't bake it too fast, make sure it doesn't burn and that it cooks all the way through.)  


Dump the loaf out to cool on a wire rack or cutting board.

<3
— J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!