Sunday, April 10, 2011

Age is Just a Number

My liver finally managed to organize all the rest of my organs (namely my brain and my stomach) into a full on revolt yesterday. I stayed bedridden after a late night of beer, tequila and (god help me) Slivovice with a few of my students. (Slivovice is the devil in liquid form.)


It was Vlasta and Jan's birthdays this week, 21st and 20th respectively. Sometimes I forget how young they are.




Yes, I realize that I'm only 24 (though I'll be 25 in a month!). But there's a huge difference between the way I was when I was 21 and the way I am now. Well, sort of. I obviously still like to party hard, so that hasn't changed.


The point is, though, sometimes it's hard to tell how old people are here. I think part of it has to do with the lower drinking age. I often forget that I'm hanging out with kids who are 18-22. I used to be able to walk into a bar and take it for granted that everyone there was my age or probably older.


In fact, I used to always be the youngest in the group. These days, I'm pushing oldest in some of my friendship circles.


But they don't completely act like super young kids so it's easy to forget. And this doesn't even just apply in their circle, but many a time I'll find myself out with friends and flirting with some guy only to find out he's barely on this side of legal. (By American standards, at least. We'll have to come back to Czech age of consent later.)


Yikes! I'm going to have to start checking IDs.


But hey, age is just a number, right? Then how come I get hung up on it? Anyone else?

3 comments:

  1. Drinking definitely takes more of a toll on you (the next day!) the older we get. I just wrote in my post today "my college self would be ashamed of me now" haha :) Glad you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've been raised by society to think that women should always date men that are older than them. it's everywhere. plus there are very few positive images in the media of women dating younger men. i mean, can you blame yourself? you've been brainwashed.

    soooo at least you're thinking about it and challenging your schemas.

    there honestly is nothing wrong with women dating younger men. if you like someone and they like you then that is that. (bare in mind this is an argument about consenting adults, okay?) the argument that it is weird to date someone younger than you is about as valid as someone saying it's weird to date someone of the same sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It only gets worse. I cannot drink like I used to... Not without feeling AWFUL the next day.

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!