Friday, August 20, 2010

In Transit: It took me 18 hours to get here, but I'm in Siem Reap, Cambodia!


I have been in and out of Internet access and when I've had the access, I've been using the time to e-mail my family or call my parents. I'm trying not to be so dependent on the Internet when there are so many other amazing things around me.

Found these suprisingly incredible knock-offs of Pringles on the Laos-Cambodian border crossing.


Either way though, I have to let my mom know I'm alive. You know moms, they get a little antsy when their youngest kid is gallivanting around the globe by herself. 

But don't you worry. I've been writing everything down and I intend to backdate all my entries, so you'll really be able to know what it was like day by day. Considering I've really been going pretty constantly, there's a story for almost every single day (except the one day in Vietnam where I was incredibly exhausted to the point of a terrible headache... that day was pretty tame... or just lame).

I'm currently in Siem Reap, Cambodia. The place I bought my ticket told me it would take 12 hours to get here and I would arrive around 9:30 p.m. It ended up taking more like 18 hours including the two and a half hours we spent sitting at a restaurant just waiting for the third bus of the trip to arrive. Needless to say I was a bit annoyed.

No problem though, at least I'm here.

I have Wi-fi access in my room (which is a private room costing me $5 a night with a hot shower and a real toilet!) and I'm a bit of a walk from the city center. 

I hope to start doing some write ups at night while I'm here. In the mean time, check out my pictures at the Eyes of a Traveling Texan sidebar on the right. I promise you'll get the story behind them all soon enough, but I will be making some early nights out of it this next few days. 

I hear the temples are the best early in the morning when all the rest of the tourists are still in a drunken stupor in their guesthouses.

1 comment:

  1. "....rest of the tourists are still in a drunken stupor in their guesthouses."

    Hey, I resembled that remark, though that may have been a couple of years....or so....ago.

    Have fun and keep the pictures coming :)

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!