Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Year Means New Rules


OK, I realize I have completely failed you in the past few months, but I haven't felt all that motivated and I've just been a bit out of sorts what with not knowing where anything is going these days. 





However, I think I have stuff figured out at least for the next eight months, so we'll just go with that. 


"What do you mean you figured stuff out?," you ask. Aw yes, Well, I'm staying in Prague at least through August. I'm (hopefully) moving to Dubai for the 2012-2013 school year, but more on that later. I've started a new job in Prague that will get me through the summer and provide me with a slightly more stable income, albeit not necessarily a larger income. At least I can budget now. 


So here I am back to teaching kids, because kids can't cancel classes. 


After a very chill Christmas - my first away from home - and then a very insane new year - again, my first away from home - it's time to make some new rules. Most people call these resolutions. But resolutions are easily broken. Rules... Well, they're made to be broken and all, but I feel a lot guiltier when I do.



So, rules:


1) I'm on a 1000kc budget per week. That's for groceries, eating out, drinking and fun. That's around $50 per week and should not at all be difficult. If at all possible, I'd like to spend less per week, but let's be realistic (I spend 400kc on groceries alone each week). However, incentive lies in that if I spend less money, the leftovers go toward more fun later, i.e. weekend trips, nice dinners, or summer!


2) Blog. Blog at least twice per month. There are generally four to five weeks per month so blogging twice out of all of that shouldn't be too difficult. Hey, here's blog No. 1 for January. 


3) Read. I want to read 24 books this year. With my new job I'll be spending a lot of time on public transport (ahem, roughly 11 hours a week....) which gives me a lot of time to read. And since I have a millionty book on Kindle, I have lots of reading material. That and I promised myself I would finish reading The Good Soldier Svejk and while my copy looks like one big book, it's technically five books in one. However, I've already finished one so that won't count toward this year's count.


I'm not putting anything in here about health, diet and exercise because I honestly don't think it's necessary. With my new job I'll be stretching, jumping, running and playing with kids not to mention the miles per day I'll be walking between metro/tram/bus stops and schools. That and in general, I'm quite comfortable with my diet.


So, now it's time for you guys to start taking bets on which resolution - ahem, rule - I break first and how long it takes me.


Happy 2012!

1 comment:

  1. DUBAI?!?! For realsies?!?!

    That's so incredibly awesome - hopefully it's for a teaching position?!

    Happy New Year and can't wait to hear more about your awesome 2012 adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!