Saturday, June 12, 2010

What is a monsoon?


So just a quick update.

It's been raining pretty much constantly here in Taiwan. We're in the middle of a pretty heavy monsoon, I guess.

We thought it was going to be terrible weather last Sunday so we canceled our second trip to Fulong for our diving session. Of course, then the weather turned out to be amazing. We didn't know until it was too late to head out there and be productive though.

So instead I had a hearty Western-style breakfast at Debbie's and then a bunch of us went to Xiao Wulai again. Now, I know I was talking about how there are all these new things I want to do, but Xiao Wulai is so close and by the time we got on our way it was already 2:30 p.m., which is far too late to go to any of the other place I wanted to go.


This made my third time at Xiao Wulai. 


The first time was last summer when we went swimming at the base of the water fall. The second was when I crashed my scooter in early-May and we still hopped a fence, crossed a river and ate a snack at the top of a smaller waterfall. 


This time, we found a trail that goes up through the trees and the mountains and connects you from the base of the big water fall, taking you past the smaller water fall and then spitting you out at the top of the big waterfall.


It wasn't the worst trail ever, but it wasn't easy either.

Which brings me to the next thing: I leave tonight for my trip with Leila to Jade Mountain.

I'm a little nervous but I don't think anything terrible will happen. I just think I'm a little under prepared. I'll live though. Good thing we have Wednesday off next week.

If I feel too terrible after the hike then I just have to make it through teaching on Tuesday and then Wednesday I can chill out.

Then again, Wednesday is Dragon Boat Festival and I'm hoping to go to Longtan to watch some Dragon Boat Races and eat zongzih, or rice dumplings. Hopefully it will still be a pretty chill day.

Despite the fact that it's probably going to rain constantly this weekend, I plan to post some amazing pictures from the highest point in Taiwan. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I can get up the energy after I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!