Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ni jiao shenme mingzih?

One more day and then I'm on vacation!

One more day and then all the teachers have a two-day weekend!

One more day and I get to see my best friend again!

I spent all day catching up on America's Next Top Model Cycle 13. I know that's ridiculous but last night there was a bit of a "party" on the roof at the dorm. We just listened to music and drank and talked.

But staying out so late (not just staying up late in bed) made me feel like death today. I suppose the vodka probably didn't help.

Anyway, sometimes I forget just how crazy Tyra Banks is.  It's funny though, because sometimes my kids look at me the way the models on ANTM look at Tyra.

Not the I-want-to-be-you-and-I'm-hanging-on-every-last-word look (though I get that too), but the You-are-the-craziest-woman-who-has-ever-stood-before-me-why-don't-you-feel-like-a-complete-moron-when-you-do-that look.

Today I had my super quiet WOW class. They're all tweens and teenagers. Some of them can be really rude and others are just embarrassed because, honestly, who wasn't embarrassed to be anywhere between the ages of 11 to 14.

Anyway, I tend to act really goofy in my classes if for no other reason than it keeps me from getting bored. Usually it helps get the energy up in class and the kids participate more. I don't mind giving up a few cool points in front of some kids to get them to laugh and then play along.

There is this part in our book about folk music and how some is soft and gentle and some is really violent and loud. My kids didn't understand "violent" as an adjective describing music.

So I demonstrated.

I starting jump up and down and beating on the desk in front of me like I was playing a drum in some African tribal performance you would have seen in Ace Ventura.

You should have seen the look of bewilderment on their faces and then they burst into laughter.

Unfortunately, while I did get them to laugh and loosen up, they're still quiet as can be. I'm not sure I can win with those ones.

Oh and I found out my favorite favorite student isn't going to be in that class anymore. She went back to the other school she came from. That makes me so sad!

After class I went to Tina Coffee for some grub and to study Chinese. One of the waitresses speaks a little English and she was super sweet. She helped me with a couple of the words I didn't know how to pronounce and she and I talked off and on for the hour or so that I was there.

It was funny because we were going back and forth between Chinese and English because neither of us knows enough of the others language to just use one language.

It was also really cute because I asked her what her name is (in Chinese) and she told me just to call her Rabbit. Apparently that's the nickname her friends gave her. Isn't that adorable.

Anyway, I think I have a new friend. I'll be going to Tina Coffee a little more now that I have something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts on this post? Let me hear it!